Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Ice Box Cake


I’m a bit of a Food Network/Cooking Channel junkie - not because I like to cook so much - but because in the last two years I’ve been thrown into the duty, since my family has gone down to one income. What I’ve found is that things I thought were complicated to prepare, are actually pretty easy. Like this Ice Box Cake:



I was perusing the Food Network when I saw Ina Garten - aka The Barefoot Contessa - making this ice box cake.  I changed it up a little because I didn’t want to add alcohol to a dessert that my son would eat. Trying to be a responsible mom!

My version - not as pretty - but tasty!
Here’s my version:

2 cups heavy cream
2 tsps vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsps cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)

1 bag crispy chocolate chip cookies

First, I gently whipped the cream with a hand held mixer, until it thickened slightly. Then I added the vanilla, sugar, and cocoa powder and continued mixing until the cream thickened (like Cool Whip). You have to be careful to not over whip, otherwise you'll get butter! It took about a minute.

Then, in a round cake pan (Ina used a spring form pan, but I didn't have one and didn't want to buy one), I layered the cookies, then whipped cream, cookies, cream, cookies and had a layer of cream on top. I covered it with plastic wrap and let it set in the fridge overnight - about 12 hours.

Easy peasy! Actually, it took longer for me to write this post then to assemble the cake! And it was DELICIOUS!!! It's not something I'd make every week, because of the high fat content, but for get togethers it would be fabulous!

Let me know if you try it!

Peace ~ Love ~ Chocolate

6 comments:

  1. Okay - THAT looks very impressive. I would love to try it. Hmmm.. if I do, I will let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE cooking too and just like you it's because of our smaller income. I tell you cooking from scratch is WAY cheaper than I thought!!! Love this!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've saved SO much money from eating at home. The food is more nutritious too! :-)

      Delete
  3. I used to watch Food Network a lot more. This looks amazing and I've never heard of it before! I'll be giving this a try soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it either, but I guess it was popular in the 60's. Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete