Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It's a Dogs Life


This week I’m featuring my sis-in-law Debbie Martin, who brings joy to others by bringing animals and people together through animal rescue. Both my animals (Kiki the cat and Eva the dog) are rescued animals, so this is a cause I believe in.


A typical week for her includes a lot of paperwork and networking with other shelters, vets, and other volunteers. Space is at a premium and many times it’s a race against the clock to save these animals from kill shelters. All the dogs rescued are given vaccinations and receive veterinarian services.


What motivates her and other volunteers to do this? Simply put, a love for animals. She started off as a foster mom for a breed specific Poodle rescue in Omaha, NE. She then became more involved in the day-to-day operations and now is the President of Board of Directors and K9 Program Manager for the Humane Society of Houston County in Warner Robbins, GA, which is totally run by volunteers. “It’s not about me…I don’t want praise, recognition, and goodness knows I don’t do it for money…it’s all about the animals and helping to give them a voice that they don’t have.”


What would she like for readers to take away from this blog post? “I would like people to realize just how bad the pet overpopulation is and not sugar coat things. Most people steer clear of city animal control facilities because it is too sad, etc.....they are right, it is sad. But out of sight, out of mind. If you don’t have to see it, you don’t have to think about it happening. Wonderful animals are dying everyday and people can help this terrible situation through responsible pet ownership and adoption. Any breed of dog you are looking for can be found through rescue. Have current pets spayed/neutered. If just one person reads this and would decide to adopt a pet instead of buying one from a pet store or breeder, I would feel great about that.”



So would I...



Peace, Love and Chocolate

1 comment: